Saturday, April 14, 2012

The Czechs are Here!!

This last week I had off, meaning there was not a team here at the Haitian Queen. So I spent much of my time getting some R&R, running some errands in Port-au-Prince, visiting OLTCH (every time I was greeted with shouts of "Betani!!!" and got tackled by lots of little boys ;) , and having a fun day in the mountains at the Haiti Baptist Mission with some friends (fellow ReachGlobal staff member Wes and OLTCH staff).
At this Mission there is a zoo. Yes, a zoo. It has one sad, little monkey (pictured below), LOTS of rabbits, and several caged goats (Laughable. Goats wander freely EVERYWHERE in Haiti. Those were the first caged goats I had ever seen in this country!!). It even had a little museum as well! We ate at an American-style restaurant (in the U.S. it would have been regular old fast food, but here in Haiti for lots of Americans who hadn't eaten that kind of food for a long time it was GOURMET!), saw lots of blancs, heard lots of English, and enjoyed the stunning beauty of the mountains and refreshingly cool (almost chilly, for here!) air. It was a much-needed, sort-of taste of home. :)

Poor monkey. The only one in Haiti. So sad. I think it also might have been a touch crazy.

Now, my week off is over as a team from the Czech Republic is here for the next two weeks! It will prove to be a very interesting two weeks, as only one team member speaks English well, and so has to serve as THE translator! They will be doing various construction projects in the area. It will be two weeks full of many different cultures and languages! How fun. :)

Also, it thrills me to formally announce here on my blog that MY MOM IS COMING TO HAITI TWO WEEKS FROM TODAY!!! :)) She and I will get to spend a week together here, seeing what I have been seeing for over a month and just having a ball!! Then she and I will be traveling back home to the States the next Saturday, May 5th. Praise God from whom all blessings flow!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment