Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Katini's Story

Ok, so I realize that in the last post I said that I had put little Katini's story on my facebook page, and that not everyone who reads on here has access to my facebook page, SO. I shall tell her story here as well, because I think it's worth sharing.




Katini is a 7-year-old orphan at OLTCH orphanage in Leogane, Haiti. When Katini was a baby, a friend of her mother's told her that if she dunked her newborn in ice water, then it would make her baby stronger. She listened to that advice. That plunge into the icy cold water caused a large amount of shock and brain damage for little Katini. Now she is severely mentally handicapped. Because of this, her mother then decided she didn't want to have to care for Katini and proceeded to drop her off at the orphanage and sign over her rights.
She is also officially one of the SWEETEST little girls I have ever met!! Every time I see her, a huge, infectious grin takes over her face and she holds her arms out, wanting both to be held and to hold. Her light little body latches onto you and she squeezes on tight, seeming like she never wants to let go. She loves to make silly faces, be held upside down and break into a smile that nearly outshines the Haitian sun.
As of right now, Katini does not really talk. I heard her say 'Hi' once (for which I was VERY excited to hear her little voice for the first time!!! :) She has the mannerisms of a one to two year old and the body size of a four or five year old. She also cannot walk without a walker yet. She also has no adoptive parents.
If Katini is given the TLC that only a forever family can give, perhaps her brain will be able to develop more and she can actually receive the attention, therapy and medical care that she truly needs... maybe she would be able to walk and talk!!
None of the children with mental disabilities at OLTCH have adoptive parents. Please be praying for this sweet baby girl and her friends at OLTCH.




"And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones who is my disciple, truly I tell you, that person will certainly not lose their reward."- Matthew 10:42

No comments:

Post a Comment